Q: What is the difference between Out-of-School Youth (OSY) and In-School Youth (ISY)?
A: Out-of-School Youth who are not younger than 16 or older than 24, and one of the following:
- A School dropout;
- A youth who is within the age of compulsory school attendance, but has not attended school for at least the most recent complete school year calendar quarter;
- A low-income indiviual with a school diploma who is basic skills-deficient or English language learner;
- A youth ofender, homeless, pregnant or parenting;
- A youth who has a disability;
- A low income indiviual requiring addittional assistance to enter or complete an educational program or to secure or hold employment.
In-school Youth not younger than 14 or older than age 21:
- Attending school (as defined by state law;
- A low-income indiviual who is basic skills-deficient, an English language learner or offender;
- A homeless indiviual
- A pregnant or parenting indiviual;
- A youth who has a disability
- An individual who requires additional assistance to complete an educational program or to secure and hold employment. Special Rule: “low-income” also includes a youth living in a high-poverty area
Q: How can I become a youth contractor?
A: The Workforce Investment Network (Local Workforce Investment Area 13) solicits proposals from qualified bidders to provide year-round services under Title I of the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) for youth living in Memphis, Shelby and Fayette Counties. Proposals are solicited for two types of services:
- Academic or Occupational In-school youth programs
- Academic or Occupational Out-of-school youth programs
Interested agencies, employers, schools and colleges, public or private corporations, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, governmental units and others are invited to submit proposals upon the release of a Request for Proposal (RFP) notice. Bidders may submit proposals for one or both of the above program areas. Bidders must submit separate proposals for in-school and out-of-school program.
To have your organization added to our bidder’s list to receive notice of upcoming Request for Proposals (RFPs), please send your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.